Blog

2017-12-18

Christmas card 2017

Showing all comments about the post Christmas card 2017. To return to the blog post, click here.

Comments

Comments in green were written by me. Comments in blue were not written by me.
 2019-01-04
@Jose: There is a mistake in your answer: 243 (0100000) is the number of numbers between 10,000 and 100,000 that do not contain the digits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6.
Matthew
 2019-01-04
Thanks for the puzzle!
Is it possible that the question 9 is no correct?
I get a penguin with perfect simetrie except at answer 9 : 0100000 that breaks the simetry.
Is it correct or a mistake in my answer?
Thx
Jose
 2018-01-01
@C: look up something called Frobenius numbers. This problem's equivalent to finding the Frobenius number for 14 and 29.
Lewis
 2017-12-28
I can solve #2 with code, but is there a tidy maths way to solve it directly?
C
 2017-12-23
My efforts were flightless.
NHH
 2017-12-20
What a fun diversion! I have to admit I can't remember how to solve #2 - I finally had to write some code. (So primitive.)
Heather
 2017-12-19
@Matthew: Thank you for the clarification!

I don't want to spoil the answer for anyone, but my Christmassy picture looks like a well dressed bird.
Claudio
 2017-12-19
@Claudio: The page number at the end of the book is 116.
Matthew
 2017-12-19
Is that a book with 116 2 sided sheets, or is the page number at the end of the book 116?
Claudio
 2017-12-19
@HH: Nope, I mean questions 6, 7 and 8. The question refers to itself.
Matthew
 2017-12-19
For question 8, don't you mean "questions 6 and 7"?
HH

I will only use your email address to reply to your comment (if a reply is needed).

Allowed HTML tags: <br> <a> <small> <b> <i> <s> <sup> <sub> <u> <spoiler> <ul> <ol> <li>
To prove you are not a spam bot, please type "z" then "e" then "r" then "o" in the box below (case sensitive):

Archive

▼ show ▼
 2013
▼ show ▼
 2012
▼ show ▼

Tags

european cup stickers php folding paper pizza cutting london light wool manchester science festival golden spiral big internet math-off oeis ternary javascript national lottery flexagons palindromes binary electromagnetic field draughts trigonometry interpolation games craft asteroids hexapawn nine men's morris final fantasy reddit programming royal baby news menace reuleaux polygons mathsteroids noughts and crosses twitter folding tube maps fractals braiding gerry anderson go logic game show probability chess tennis game of life dates platonic solids data hats rhombicuboctahedron sound realhats pythagoras estimation map projections python probability raspberry pi mathsjam polynomials graph theory sport statistics martin gardner puzzles radio 4 weather station world cup christmas card golden ratio bodmas christmas inline code the aperiodical manchester bubble bobble frobel misleading statistics plastic ratio arithmetic captain scarlet countdown matt parker dataset speed cross stitch people maths harriss spiral chebyshev sorting coins a gamut of games books latex triangles machine learning pac-man rugby mathslogicbot curvature chalkdust magazine dragon curves accuracy propositional calculus football geometry approximation video games london underground error bars

Archive