Blog

2017-12-18

Christmas card 2017

Showing all comments about the post Christmas card 2017. To return to the blog post, click here.

Comments

Comments in green were written by me. Comments in blue were not written by me.
 2019-01-04
@Jose: There is a mistake in your answer: 243 (0100000) is the number of numbers between 10,000 and 100,000 that do not contain the digits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6.
Matthew
 2019-01-04
Thanks for the puzzle!
Is it possible that the question 9 is no correct?
I get a penguin with perfect simetrie except at answer 9 : 0100000 that breaks the simetry.
Is it correct or a mistake in my answer?
Thx
Jose
 2018-01-01
@C: look up something called Frobenius numbers. This problem's equivalent to finding the Frobenius number for 14 and 29.
Lewis
 2017-12-28
I can solve #2 with code, but is there a tidy maths way to solve it directly?
C
 2017-12-23
My efforts were flightless.
NHH
 2017-12-20
What a fun diversion! I have to admit I can't remember how to solve #2 - I finally had to write some code. (So primitive.)
Heather
 2017-12-19
@Matthew: Thank you for the clarification!

I don't want to spoil the answer for anyone, but my Christmassy picture looks like a well dressed bird.
Claudio
 2017-12-19
@Claudio: The page number at the end of the book is 116.
Matthew
 2017-12-19
Is that a book with 116 2 sided sheets, or is the page number at the end of the book 116?
Claudio
 2017-12-19
@HH: Nope, I mean questions 6, 7 and 8. The question refers to itself.
Matthew
 2017-12-19
For question 8, don't you mean "questions 6 and 7"?
HH

I will only use your email address to reply to your comment (if a reply is needed).

Allowed HTML tags: <br> <a> <small> <b> <i> <s> <sup> <sub> <u> <spoiler> <ul> <ol> <li>
To prove you are not a spam bot, please type "v" then "e" then "c" then "t" then "o" then "r" in the box below (case sensitive):

Archive

▼ show ▼
 2013
▼ show ▼
 2012
▼ show ▼

Tags

manchester chalkdust magazine final fantasy map projections tmip reuleaux polygons flexagons curvature the aperiodical big internet math-off electromagnetic field folding tube maps chebyshev games bodmas hats reddit world cup stickers draughts football dragon curves noughts and crosses cambridge platonic solids interpolation sorting oeis martin gardner mathslogicbot radio 4 puzzles logic pac-man raspberry pi javascript asteroids menace game of life pythagoras arithmetic cross stitch speed machine learning estimation talking maths in public gerry anderson matt parker graph theory rhombicuboctahedron manchester science festival propositional calculus palindromes go twitter realhats national lottery frobel weather station london bubble bobble european cup programming game show probability sound countdown books harriss spiral news nine men's morris craft mathsteroids fractals people maths latex binary christmas card python rugby inline code data golden ratio london underground geometry sport plastic ratio wool statistics a gamut of games golden spiral dataset php polynomials misleading statistics pizza cutting mathsjam probability folding paper hexapawn christmas ternary approximation triangles chess dates trigonometry tennis error bars coins captain scarlet royal baby braiding accuracy light video games

Archive