Blog

2017-11-28

Christmas (2017) is coming!

Showing all comments about the post Christmas (2017) is coming!. To return to the blog post, click here.

Comments

Comments in green were written by me. Comments in blue were not written by me.
 2017-12-27
@Neal (@zbvif): Thanks, I've added a clarification to 22
Matthew
 2017-12-24
Me again

Just for info (clarification?): I read question on 22nd as
22 is two times an odd number. Today's number is the mean of all the answers, on days (including today), that are two times an odd number."

Note my added commas. I was averaging the answers, not the dates. Certainly ambiguous as far as I am concerned.
Only fixed it by 'cheating'. Trying best guessses of averages until I got the correct one.
neal (@zbvif)
 2017-12-24
Wow. Just discovered I meisread 15th Dec puzzle.

I can tell you that the number of combinations of n As and Bs which contain at at least one uninterrupted sequence of 3 As is 2^n - F3(n+3) where F3 is the fibonaccia variant adding 3 numbers (1,1,2,4,7,13,24 etc.).
Only took me about 8 hours (with some small help form OEIS for the 2 As problem)
Neal (@zbvif)
 2017-12-18
@Alex: Assume the pancake is 2D
Matthew
 2017-12-18
With todays puzzle does the pancake have any thickness i.e can we slice the pancake into 2 circular pancakes each with half the thickness or are we to assume its 2D
Alex
 2017-12-15
@EliK: Yes, the puzzles should all give three digit answers. You must be misinterpreting today's puzzle...
Matthew
 2017-12-15
Will all puzzle answers be 3 digit numbers? Today (15) I'm getting a much larger number but could be interpreting the puzzle wrong?
EliK
 2017-12-13
@Charles: No - there is currently no way to check your answers. But on Christmas Eve, once you've attempted all 24 puzzles, a thing will appear telling you how many are right/wrong, so you can know they're all right before attempting the logic puzzle...
Matthew
 2017-12-13
Just to check I'm not missing something - there's no way to check whether my answers are right or wrong?
Charles
 2017-12-13
@Neal: Yes, the book starts with page 1 on the left hand side (ie the inside cover), and ends with page 754 on the right (ie the inside back cover).
Matthew
 2017-12-13
Matthew. Today's (13) puzzle. Books normally have 1st two page spread being pages 2 and 3. The last in this book would be 752,753. This means there would not be a middle two page spread, there would be two...?
Did you assume 1st 2 page spread is pages 1 and 2?
Neal
 2017-12-10
@Louis: I think they get harder towards the end, plus the final puzzle is probably harder.
Matthew
 2017-12-10
Are the daily puzzles going to gradually get harder? They seem easier this year... Or is the final puzzle going to be more difficult?
Louis
 2017-12-07
@Neal: No, there may be zeroes in the three digit numbers (but you can discard these when solving the final logic puzzle as there are no zeros in the answer to that).
Matthew
 2017-12-07
Should I worry one of my 3 digit answers contains a zero?
Neal
 2017-12-06
@Michael: The digits can be the same.
Matthew
 2017-12-05
Should we assume that the three digits can be the same, or must be different, unless stated otherwise?
Michael
 2017-12-01
@PatTheHyruler: Nope, anyone is allowed to enter.
Matthew
 2017-12-01
Is the contest UK-only?
PatTheHyruler

I will only use your email address to reply to your comment (if a reply is needed).

Allowed HTML tags: <br> <a> <small> <b> <i> <s> <sup> <sub> <u> <spoiler> <ul> <ol> <li>
To prove you are not a spam bot, please type "segment" in the box below (case sensitive):

Archive

▼ show ▼
 2013
▼ show ▼
 2012
▼ show ▼

Tags

gerry anderson arithmetic propositional calculus oeis mathsjam triangles captain scarlet platonic solids hexapawn cambridge chalkdust magazine menace national lottery tennis inline code misleading statistics football map projections world cup probability royal baby data folding tube maps javascript accuracy electromagnetic field christmas card manchester science festival radio 4 harriss spiral christmas sound curvature interpolation people maths pythagoras games london latex realhats manchester dataset programming rhombicuboctahedron coins palindromes mathsteroids binary game of life braiding go game show probability craft countdown mathslogicbot php geometry estimation trigonometry stickers approximation chess pizza cutting big internet math-off frobel rugby the aperiodical flexagons python final fantasy fractals plastic ratio video games european cup statistics golden spiral noughts and crosses martin gardner a gamut of games twitter folding paper cross stitch puzzles polynomials bodmas tmip dragon curves news raspberry pi books dates logic asteroids chebyshev sport london underground ternary weather station talking maths in public wool pac-man sorting draughts golden ratio hats matt parker graph theory reuleaux polygons bubble bobble reddit nine men's morris error bars machine learning light speed

Archive