Archive

2016
 2015
 2014
 2013
 2012

Tags

reddit martin gardner rugby polynomials tennis craft raspberry pi gerry anderson sport pizza cutting puzzles game of life menace accuracy logic error bars programming oeis harriss spiral approximation christmas card triangles dragon curves royal baby electromagnetic field bubble bobble european cup countdown twitter interpolation speed books graph theory curvature estimation light sorting machine learning misleading statistics data radio 4 realhats golden spiral platonic solids world cup fractals national lottery arithmetic football reuleaux polygons matt parker weather station hats php rhombicuboctahedron frobel python captain scarlet pac-man dates trigonometry binary probability asteroids dataset video games chalkdust magazine wool news a gamut of games london flexagons ternary golden ratio coins manchester science festival statistics plastic ratio cross stitch stickers palindromes javascript latex go draughts noughts and crosses nine men's morris the aperiodical folding tube maps mathsteroids braiding sound christmas geometry folding paper pythagoras games map projections mathslogicbot aperiodical big internet math-off manchester inline code chebyshev hexapawn london underground chess propositional calculus final fantasy bodmas game show probability people maths

Archive

Show me a random blog post
▼ show ▼

Blog

2015-08-27

MENACE

Showing all comments about the post MENACE. To return to the blog post, click here.

Comments

Comments in green were written by me. Comments in blue were not written by me.
 2019-04-09
@Sterling: To make a MENACE to play chess, you'd need to draw every possible position in chess. As I wrote in this blog post, if you had a matchbox for each possible chess position, your pile of matchboxes would be this big:

This number of positions is too big for this method of learning to work for chess, so you'd need a more advanced method...
Matthew
 2019-04-08
After watching the video with yourself and Matt, you commented on teaching it chess are there any PDFs on how to teach, the machine chess. Ie what are the mechanics
Sterling
 2019-03-27
@Alex: You can find the pdfs here. boxes0.pdf to boxes3.pdf are the states for a MENACE that goes first. second_boxes0.pdf to second_boxes2.pdf are the states for a MENACE that goes second.
Matthew
 2019-03-26
I know this has been asked a lot but would it be possible if you could make a pdf of all possible states of the game on your website? If not please just send them to me directly. Thank you, alex
Alex
 2019-02-25
@Alexis: Well spotted. There was a typo in the variable name used for the third move boxes, I've fixed this now
Matthew
 2019-02-25
When I try to change the settings of MENACE2, the sixth move is considered "NaN"... Hope you can fix this
Alexis
 2019-02-07
@David: I'll email you some pdfs. I've also added the (ugly) Python code I used to make the LaTeX that makes the pdfs to GitHub.
Matthew
 2019-02-06
My son is looking at doing a variation of this for his science fair, 2 questions: 1) Has there been a version where MENACE moves 2nd? 2) where might I find a pdf of the game states, at least for MENACE moving 1rst, but if possible moving 2nd
David
 2019-02-05
@Sam: I've emailed them to you
Matthew
 2019-02-04
I loved the standupmatha video on your MENACE, and I’m trying to build my own. Any way I could get a pdf with the 304 game states on it? Thanks! :)
Sam
 2018-12-07
@Marc St-jacques: To build MENACE, I only used the boards that could happen when it is player 1's turn, as MENACE always plays as player 1.
Matthew
 2018-12-01
Hi. I tried to implement my own version but I'm stuck at generating 626 boards, after removing impossible boards, wins and ties and transposing all 8 positions for each remaining board. This fellow here https://stackoverflow.com/a/32019787/782883 comes to a similar conclusion stating there are 626 mid-game boards. So what am I missing to reduce my number to 304 ? --- PS. I could have asked the fellow in question, but my reputation on S-O is too low. :(
Marc St-jacques
 2018-11-15
I put it into a resign loop after 3 games. Left it resigning for a few hours, after selecting 'random' and speed to maximum, just to see what happens. 15 seconds for the first 1,000 resigns. After a couple of hundred thousand resigns, it had slowed to about 10% of the initial speed. It didn't crash. You could use an unlimited number of beads in the first move box, to stop people like me from finding the boundaries!
g0mrb
 2017-11-21
It seems to work! It didn't loop! Is there a way to represent the matchboxes (the game positions) in memory so that the 90 and 180 rotations of a same position would automatically be the same matchbox object ?
Misccold
 2017-11-16
I played ~40 games and then it got stuck in a loop of "MENACE resigns" on an empty board. I didn't touch the settings. Cool project :-)
Misccold
 2017-11-16
@Blan: I think I've fixed that. Let me know if you still have the same problem after refreshing the page.
Matthew
 2017-11-16
The online version of MENACE is really glitchy. Whenever you change the settings, it just keeps going in the corner. For instance, I changed it to get 1 bead per victory, and it just kept going in the corner every time. It made its second move, and then it just stopped playing after that. I put x's all over the board until I won. This happens with a lot of the custom settings.
Blan
 2017-11-16
@Matthew: Cool, thanks! Also thanks for translating the site to German, really useful.
Stephan Graf
 2017-11-16
@Stephan Graf: I do. I will email them to you
Matthew
 2017-11-16
I would like to build my own menace. Would you happen to still have a document template with the possible game states in matchbox size? This could save me some work ;)
Stephan Graf
 2017-11-15
If you take one bead out on a loss and put three in on a win, then a careful human player (by judicious choice of moves) can win almost three times as much as losing, without letting the machine "catch on"
Martin
 2016-12-07
@Steve Paget: I've also made a physical MENACE since writing this. I plan to make a video at some point: I'll let you know when I do...
Matthew
 2016-12-07
Oh, I just read further and saw that Oliver made the physical MENACE. I shall menace him instead!
Steve Paget
 2016-12-07
I would love to see a game being played with this machine. Could you make a Youtube video of a game in progress, so we can see it in action? How long does a typical game last with a trained engine?
Steve Paget
 2015-12-14
@Joe: There may be a mistake in the source code somewhere. I will look into it.
Matthew
 2015-12-05
Whenever the board turns into two opposite corners, and I have played in bottom middle and center, Menace stops playing for some reason (aka I get a free move).
Joe