Blog

2018-12-08

Christmas card 2018

Showing all comments about the post Christmas card 2018. To return to the blog post, click here.

Comments

Comments in green were written by me. Comments in blue were not written by me.
 2018-12-17
@Carmel: It's not meant to check your answers. It only shows up red if the number you enter cannot be split into valid pairs (eg the number has an odd number of digits or one of the pairs of digits is greater than 20).
Matthew
 2018-12-16
The script for checking the answers doesn't work properly
Carmel
 2018-12-14
Thank you Shawn!
SueM
 2018-12-14
So satisfying!
Heather
 2018-12-10
Great puzzle problems! Hint on #9: try starting with an analogous problem using smaller numbers (e.g. 3a + 10b). This helped me to see what I had to do more generally.
Noah
 2018-12-10
@Seth: try solving it for 3a+4b, 3a+5b, 4a+5b, etc and look for patterns
Matthew
 2018-12-09
Loved these puzzles! I have no idea how to approach #9, though. Will the solutions be posted at any point? Or, can anyone provide a hint to how to approach it?
Seth
 2018-12-09
Blaine said I'd like the puzzle, and he was right, too.
Margaret G
 2018-12-09
Great puzzles. Especially enjoyed #9. Thanks for the entertainment!
John
 2018-12-09
Think I got it! A sure sign of spring. number 9 was a struggle.
Mike
 2018-12-09
Someone told me I would like this puzzle and they were right!
Blaine

I will only use your email address to reply to your comment (if a reply is needed).

Allowed HTML tags: <br> <a> <small> <b> <i> <s> <sup> <sub> <u> <spoiler> <ul> <ol> <li>
To prove you are not a spam bot, please type "x-axis" in the box below (case sensitive):

Archive

▼ show ▼
 2013
▼ show ▼
 2012
▼ show ▼

Tags

bodmas people maths oeis latex chalkdust magazine games trigonometry video games braiding captain scarlet geometry error bars ternary european cup logic statistics mathslogicbot london data the aperiodical books sorting pizza cutting light mathsteroids cambridge dragon curves london underground propositional calculus manchester science festival wool probability chess polynomials pythagoras tennis christmas cross stitch world cup game show probability game of life hats radio 4 frobel big internet math-off php dataset nine men's morris javascript talking maths in public noughts and crosses raspberry pi machine learning curvature sound countdown stickers golden spiral dates reddit hexapawn harriss spiral bubble bobble arithmetic manchester royal baby python estimation plastic ratio folding tube maps binary rhombicuboctahedron misleading statistics news chebyshev triangles reuleaux polygons rugby menace asteroids final fantasy a gamut of games christmas card graph theory realhats flexagons coins puzzles sport draughts fractals gerry anderson approximation folding paper interpolation craft tmip inline code weather station mathsjam accuracy speed platonic solids national lottery map projections pac-man football martin gardner go twitter programming matt parker golden ratio palindromes electromagnetic field

Archive