Blog

2018-12-08

Christmas card 2018

Showing all comments about the post Christmas card 2018. To return to the blog post, click here.

Comments

Comments in green were written by me. Comments in blue were not written by me.
 2018-12-17
@Carmel: It's not meant to check your answers. It only shows up red if the number you enter cannot be split into valid pairs (eg the number has an odd number of digits or one of the pairs of digits is greater than 20).
Matthew
 2018-12-16
The script for checking the answers doesn't work properly
Carmel
 2018-12-14
Thank you Shawn!
SueM
 2018-12-14
So satisfying!
Heather
 2018-12-10
Great puzzle problems! Hint on #9: try starting with an analogous problem using smaller numbers (e.g. 3a + 10b). This helped me to see what I had to do more generally.
Noah
 2018-12-10
@Seth: try solving it for 3a+4b, 3a+5b, 4a+5b, etc and look for patterns
Matthew
 2018-12-09
Loved these puzzles! I have no idea how to approach #9, though. Will the solutions be posted at any point? Or, can anyone provide a hint to how to approach it?
Seth
 2018-12-09
Blaine said I'd like the puzzle, and he was right, too.
Margaret G
 2018-12-09
Great puzzles. Especially enjoyed #9. Thanks for the entertainment!
John
 2018-12-09
Think I got it! A sure sign of spring. number 9 was a struggle.
Mike
 2018-12-09
Someone told me I would like this puzzle and they were right!
Blaine

I will only use your email address to reply to your comment (if a reply is needed).

Allowed HTML tags: <br> <a> <small> <b> <i> <s> <sup> <sub> <u> <spoiler> <ul> <ol> <li>
To prove you are not a spam bot, please type "p" then "r" then "i" then "m" then "e" in the box below (case sensitive):

Archive

▼ show ▼
 2013
▼ show ▼
 2012
▼ show ▼

Tags

european cup people maths graph theory realhats london logic rugby estimation flexagons weather station captain scarlet books braiding a gamut of games python puzzles chess programming speed folding tube maps sorting christmas card cross stitch ternary noughts and crosses latex interpolation wool gerry anderson talking maths in public dragon curves misleading statistics arithmetic dates sport stickers game of life pythagoras go game show probability pizza cutting big internet math-off matt parker martin gardner world cup reddit frobel inline code dataset national lottery raspberry pi countdown manchester pac-man london underground statistics map projections hats folding paper cambridge approximation bodmas chalkdust magazine tmip plastic ratio mathslogicbot tennis javascript machine learning data propositional calculus harriss spiral menace fractals radio 4 mathsteroids polynomials accuracy php royal baby bubble bobble trigonometry electromagnetic field binary sound craft nine men's morris triangles final fantasy asteroids chebyshev manchester science festival golden ratio news palindromes curvature hexapawn reuleaux polygons coins games geometry error bars oeis twitter football the aperiodical probability video games christmas light draughts golden spiral mathsjam platonic solids rhombicuboctahedron

Archive