Blog

2017-12-18

Christmas card 2017

Showing all comments about the post Christmas card 2017. To return to the blog post, click here.

Comments

Comments in green were written by me. Comments in blue were not written by me.
 2019-01-04
@Jose: There is a mistake in your answer: 243 (0100000) is the number of numbers between 10,000 and 100,000 that do not contain the digits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6.
Matthew
 2019-01-04
Thanks for the puzzle!
Is it possible that the question 9 is no correct?
I get a penguin with perfect simetrie except at answer 9 : 0100000 that breaks the simetry.
Is it correct or a mistake in my answer?
Thx
Jose
 2018-01-01
@C: look up something called Frobenius numbers. This problem's equivalent to finding the Frobenius number for 14 and 29.
Lewis
 2017-12-28
I can solve #2 with code, but is there a tidy maths way to solve it directly?
C
 2017-12-23
My efforts were flightless.
NHH
 2017-12-20
What a fun diversion! I have to admit I can't remember how to solve #2 - I finally had to write some code. (So primitive.)
Heather
 2017-12-19
@Matthew: Thank you for the clarification!

I don't want to spoil the answer for anyone, but my Christmassy picture looks like a well dressed bird.
Claudio
 2017-12-19
@Claudio: The page number at the end of the book is 116.
Matthew
 2017-12-19
Is that a book with 116 2 sided sheets, or is the page number at the end of the book 116?
Claudio
 2017-12-19
@HH: Nope, I mean questions 6, 7 and 8. The question refers to itself.
Matthew
 2017-12-19
For question 8, don't you mean "questions 6 and 7"?
HH

I will only use your email address to reply to your comment (if a reply is needed).

Allowed HTML tags: <br> <a> <small> <b> <i> <s> <sup> <sub> <u> <spoiler> <ul> <ol> <li>
To prove you are not a spam bot, please type "oitar" backwards in the box below (case sensitive):

Archive

▼ show ▼
 2013
▼ show ▼
 2012
▼ show ▼

Tags

captain scarlet estimation graph theory sport oeis platonic solids probability tennis manchester php cambridge coins radio 4 trigonometry flexagons the aperiodical harriss spiral game of life speed latex golden spiral bubble bobble final fantasy binary cross stitch tmip video games london underground hexapawn mathslogicbot golden ratio stickers geometry go martin gardner draughts manchester science festival arithmetic london realhats national lottery sound data games books chess rugby map projections fractals palindromes football chalkdust magazine curvature wool world cup javascript news sorting pizza cutting pythagoras game show probability statistics a gamut of games reuleaux polygons triangles nine men's morris reddit mathsteroids christmas card menace craft dates plastic ratio dragon curves hats frobel european cup rhombicuboctahedron royal baby chebyshev gerry anderson error bars propositional calculus noughts and crosses braiding programming talking maths in public countdown polynomials people maths approximation dataset misleading statistics light puzzles bodmas christmas inline code accuracy raspberry pi folding tube maps asteroids logic matt parker interpolation mathsjam weather station pac-man python electromagnetic field folding paper machine learning ternary twitter big internet math-off

Archive