Blog

2016-11-27

Christmas (2016) is coming!

Showing all comments about the post Christmas (2016) is coming!. To return to the blog post, click here.

Comments

Comments in green were written by me. Comments in blue were not written by me.
 2016-12-27
@Another Matthew: Ten correct submissions have been made. Just updating the pages to reflect this...
 2016-12-27
Have 10 correct submissions not been made yet?
Another Matthew
 2016-12-25
Thank you, @Matthew: !
Lyra
 2016-12-25
Really enjoyed the extra bit at the end this year! Looking forward to 2017's calendar.
Louis
 2016-12-25
@Lyra: I'll email you if you are one of the winners to get the rest of your address!
 2016-12-25
I acccidently sent the form without all of my address :/ It's just the street, can I send the postcode and that it is in Germany "somewhere else"?
Lyra
 2016-12-24
@Lyra: Yes, I'm happy to send the prizes internationally. Glad you enjoyed the puzzles. Merry Christmas!
 2016-12-24
Will you be able to send to outside of the UK? Was really awesome! Definitely joining again next year. Merry Christmas!
Lyra
 2016-12-24
Hi Matthew, thx for the wonderful riddles. I still get a 4-digit answer for Dec 3rd, can you help me out? Thanks so much!
Fred
 2016-12-24
@Wait: The 25th door only contains the entry from for the murder mystery. You now have all 24 clues. Good luck!
 2016-12-24
Is there going to be a clue behind door 25? Or do we have 24 clues in total?
Wait
 2016-12-24
@Applause: Glad you enjoyed it. Yes - I am planning to do another next year
 2016-12-24
This calendar was spectacular, especially the murder mystery. I'm already looking forward to next year's (also, could you please confirm that there will be another next year?)! Thank you so much for all of the work that must have gone into this. It was extremely fun.
Applause
 2016-12-21
@Panda: You need to wait to solve today's puzzle until you have 1-24 solved. (I saved this question for late in the calendar so you for have to wait too long.)
 2016-12-21
I'm not sure I understand today's (Dec 21) question. If we were to calculate the mean of all answers that are multiples of 3, does that mean (i) effectively we can only solve today's question on Dec 24 or (ii) we only need to consider the answers from Dec 1 - Dec 21?
Or am I misinterpreting the question completely?
Panda
 2016-12-21
These puzzles are getting mega meta!
Another Matthew
 2016-12-19
@Lyra: The first row (1) is row 1, making (1 1) row 2, (1 2 1) row 3, etc
 2016-12-19
For row 8 in Pascals triangle: is the very first (one 1) row 1 or row 0?
Lyra
 2016-12-15
@Another Matthew: Correct, you're looking for the sum of the two numbers on the centre spread pages (one on each page).
 2016-12-15
Since some people use Kindles, it seems natural that a page is just one side.
Another Matthew
 2016-12-15
How is the relationship between page and page number defined in the book for #15? Is it defined by the page numbers of the book (i.e. the page numbered 1 is page 1, the page numbered 2 is page 2, and so on), is it defined by the front and back of a piece of paper (e.g. page 1 contains page number 1 on the front and page number 2 on the back), or is it defined by folding all of the pages horizontally and nesting them inside of each other (e.g. page 1 contains the first two and final two page numbers)?
name
 2016-12-14
@Steve Paget: Link styling was strange. They're now underlined to make it easier.
 2016-12-13
Ah, ignore me. I didn't see that it was a link!
Steve paget
 2016-12-13
I don't know what the AVE Game engine is (Day 11)! Do I have to download something?
Steve Paget
 2016-12-13
@Mike: I've added a clarification to puzzle 5. Glad you're enjoying the puzzles!
 2016-12-12
I think problem 5 needs clarification. By numbers, you mean positive integers? Does the sum just consisting of the number 35 count? Are these ordered or unordered sums?

Thank you for all your hard work on this, it's a lot of fun.
Mike
 2016-12-12
@k: Don't assume anything! All should become clear at the end...
 2016-12-12
Can we assume that all meta clues (like 8 and 12) are true?
k
 2016-12-09
@Matthew: It was definitely a surprise; well played :)
Wait
 2016-12-08
@Wait: Nope, I thought it would be a nice surprise to be told this after 8 days!
 2016-12-08
Wait, we aren't guaranteed that the clues are correct?
Wait
 2016-12-01
@Rob Rowlands: Thanks for passing it on. I've corrected the post to say end of 2016 (!).
 2016-12-01
Hello Matthew, your advent calendar idea seems wonderful. I've retired from teaching but still attend meetings of the Camborne (Cornwall) branch of ATM. We have our Christmas meeting on Saturday so I will pass this on.
You might have already had it pointed out that the closing date for entries is the beginning of 2016, but if we can't work out what's happened there then I don't suppose we have much chance with the competition. Happy Christmas, from Rob Rowlands
Rob Rowlands

I will only use your email address to reply to your comment (if a reply is needed).

Allowed HTML tags: <br> <a> <small> <b> <i> <s> <sup> <sub> <u> <spoiler> <ul> <ol> <li>
To prove you are not a spam bot, please type "raenil" backwards in the box below (case sensitive):

Archive

▼ show ▼
 2013
▼ show ▼
 2012
▼ show ▼

Tags

ternary hats frobel world cup sound curvature misleading statistics mathslogicbot mathsjam bodmas talking maths in public asteroids martin gardner folding paper golden ratio chess reddit python radio 4 menace big internet math-off error bars manchester javascript puzzles logic dragon curves gerry anderson oeis interpolation flexagons propositional calculus countdown christmas craft machine learning tennis news go dataset realhats hexapawn national lottery dates london plastic ratio electromagnetic field triangles london underground the aperiodical braiding pythagoras final fantasy palindromes cross stitch pizza cutting captain scarlet graph theory draughts books harriss spiral rhombicuboctahedron platonic solids reuleaux polygons arithmetic cambridge programming raspberry pi video games european cup noughts and crosses games game show probability data twitter trigonometry probability map projections chebyshev light football matt parker manchester science festival approximation statistics nine men's morris php geometry mathsteroids royal baby chalkdust magazine weather station people maths rugby coins christmas card a gamut of games stickers pac-man folding tube maps bubble bobble polynomials inline code speed golden spiral sport wool sorting latex estimation game of life tmip binary fractals accuracy

Archive